Where my moments truly began

Where my moments truly began
I love this picture. Yes...that is my husband. The day we checked out our wedding site for the first time. (also the first week we discussed marriage). This is where the moments in my life now truly began!

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Bloops and Blunders-Day 3

Our wedding was not perfect, though there are very few things I would change if I could. I think that is what makes a wedding special. The little things that you look back at and say....'Remember when THIS happened?" 

However, we did have the typical crazy things that happened along the way. 

Here are some of the things that could have messed things up, but wound up just adding to the fun and excitement of our weekend:


1. We worked hard to combine my mother-in law's short veil with my mom's long veil. I was so excited to wear them both, and they are both in the bridal portraits that I posted last week. However, when we left to go to Lake Lure, somehow my mother in law's short veil (My blusher), was left in Charlotte. 

We didnt realize this until right before the wedding. I was devastated not to have a blusher and almost went into full scale panic. However, my trusty Maid of Honor, with her quick thinking skills, quickly responded..

"If you want a blusher, we are going to get you a blusher!" And she did. A piece of tull was found from a special "performance" that the bridemaids had put on for me the night before. A little steam treatment and voila-I had a blusher. (Although I was sad not to wear Lorraine's in the ceremony!)

That same veil wound up being attached upside down, so if you look at the pictures of my dad and I walking down the aisle, you can see my head tilted down. The beaded daisy's were on the bottom instead of the top and kept catching the sidewalk. I was afraid the whole thing was going to come toppling down. 

My mom's long veil was actually lost during the course of the night. We still dont know what happened to it. I was very upset for weeks about it and even went back up to the wedding site to look through their storage closets the next month. However, my mom (whom I thought would be devastated) said to me, "Amy, we have wonderful pictures of it and remember...it's just an "thing." Not having it here doesnt mean it didnt exist, or that it wasnt special." WOW! What amazing words....Especially when I think of HER. 

2. And speaking of my mom...she got lost and went the wrong way down I-85 on the way to Lake Lure. She almost missed the rehearsal. 

3. When I went to open the box of butterflies to release them, there were actually  a couple on the bottom that had not survived the journey. YUCK! I tried to keep my face neutral. 

4. Rachel (one of my flower girls) did not want to go down the aisle. However, after allowing her to bring one of her stuffed animals with her, she changed her mind. 

5. Our pastor called Dan, "Jonathan" during our ceremony. We have never let him live it down. Turns out he was reading off of some notes he had written for another ceremony and the Groom's name was Jonathan. Sometimes I like to tease Dan that I am really not married to him, but am actually married to a stranger name Jonathan. 

6. A stranger who happened upon the wedding lit the first sparkler. So then everyone thought it was time for them to light THEIR sparklers which prompted a quicker departure than Dan or I had intended. 

7. Dan lost the keys to our honeymoon suite. Turns out that one of his groomsmen had them in his pocket, but it meant we had to return to the wedding after we had already left. I was not nearly as stressed about this as Dan was. :)

8. Small detail, but we forgot to put out a knife to cut the cake. When you have 250 people waiting on cake, it's a bit hectic. Thanks to Jolie who jumped in and helped. We had forgotten to pick someone to even serve it. 

9. My mom was in the bathroom when I did my Father/Daughter dance. This one actually still upsets me when I think about it. She was NOT happy. Thank goodness we had it on film. 

10. I got red and splotchy during the ceremony. This is typical of me-anytime I am nervous or feel like I am the center of attention. It definitely adds character to our photos. I didnt even have them edited because thats just the way I looked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment