Where my moments truly began

Where my moments truly began
I love this picture. Yes...that is my husband. The day we checked out our wedding site for the first time. (also the first week we discussed marriage). This is where the moments in my life now truly began!

Saturday, May 29, 2010

God showed up on Facebook

Coming off of  my weekend camp, I was on a fabulous high. (The natural kind of course). It was truly one of the most remarkable feelings. All was right in the world.

Until Monday morning...

Now those of you that know us well, are aware of the fact that we are rarely home. As much as I try to schedule more days around the house, it just doesnt happen. And for the most part, we enjoy being out and about. However, between church, work, camp, Holl's activities, Dan's music, etc..we are just not around very much.

This wasnt creating the most ideal situation for our 2 beloved animals-Phoebe and Chandler. Now, I know there are lots of people out there who live busy lives, probably even busier than ours and still manage to take care of their animals. I'll be the first to say that we are not perfect. However, Chandler (our cat) had this slightly annoying little habit of peeing on things when he wasnt getting enough attention. I have had him tested , and the vet agreed that it was completely behavioral. I had been getting up early in the mornings and spending time with both of them while doing my bible study and for the most part, everything was much better.

However, over the weekend I was at camp-Chandler obviously felt as though he was not getting enough loving, and the annoying habit came back.

This is really quite a long story, and those of you that know me well can probably guess how this "conversation" went in my house. However, the end result was that Chandler needed a new home.
I had known in my heart for a long time that both of them just were not getting the type of attention that they deserved, and if we had animals with laid back personalities-they might have been fine. But it just wasnt fair to them. However, I was convinced that no one would be willing to take on 2 older animals who were so needy.

I'll be the first to say that I have always had a really hard time with people who give their animals away. So coming to this decision was no easy feat. My thought is that if you commit to taking care of animal, you see it through. However, I also committed to my marriage and was a little worried that keeping Chandler was not going to be allow me to see THAT committment through. :)

I cried.

I cried and cried and cried. All that morning...

And then I got online and started sending out emails. One of the first people I thought of was our friend Lori, who does a ton of work in helping animals get rescued. I have followed her posts on Facebook over the last year or so, and thought maybe she could help. She's always posting things about different animals that are needing a home, and seemed to have good connections in the "animal world" so I sent her a long message about Chandler and she went right to work.

You know how there are just times when it is so painfully obvious that God is at work. That he really DOES exist and that he's here in the middle of our every daydrama? This was one of those days.

After I had cried and cried, and commiserated with several wonderful friends who immediately jumped in to support me, I reminded myself that I hadnt truly prayed about the situation. So I stopped what I was doing and just asked God to please help me find a good home for Chandler. One where he would be so loved, that he would never feel the need to act out. He is the sweetest cat in the world who craves affection, and I just wanted him to be able to have that.



Anyway, I had to go to an event for work, but an hour or so later, I got on Facebook and Lori had already posted a little blurb about Chandler on her page. This was really sweet of her because I hadnt been able to give her much information (or even a picture) at that point because I had spent so much time crying and I was running late for my work appointment.

I'm not kidding...within 1 hour, she had several responses from some of her friends and one of them was from a lady named Bonni who has a son (named Daniel) who had been looking for a grey tabby. Lori explained to her about Chandler's issues and she agreed with us that it was behavioral and that they were willing to take him anyway. I was in shock. Seriously, this was less than 4 hours after I had made the decision to find him a new home.

Bonni and I emailed throughout that day. She lives in Virginia with her family and so we were trying to figure out how to get Chandler up to her. In the process of discussing all the details, I admitted to her that I was probably going to try and find a home for Phoebe too because I just didnt think it was fair to take Chandler away from her and leave her alone even more than she already was. She is also a bit high maintenance, and I knew she would be devastated if he was gone. She had been with him every day since we brought first brought her home.

God was truly looking out for me that day. The next email that Bonni sent told me that her daughter (Aimee) had been wanting a Yorkie for a while and could they see a picture. I sent her this one.





She immediately responded that they would take her too.

I was in shock. I dont know why I get so surprised when God shows up in the middle of things. But he did, in a big way!

So that Sunday, I took Phoebe and Chandler up to meet their new owners. Bonni and Aimee met me in Virginia, and while I did shed quite a few tears throughout the drive up and back, I was filled with an incredible peace that they were going "Home." Did I mention that Bonni's maiden name is Chandler?

My first instinct when I was driving home from Virginia was to call my Gig. She was the one that taught me to love cats and 2 of my first kittens came from her house and I knew she would understand just how I was feelin. I also knew just hearing her voice would help me feel better.  And it did!!

They have been having a wonderful time. Bonni and her family live on lots of land and have many other animals. Chandler and Phoebe get to hang out with goats and rabbits and birds and ferrets, in addition to other cats and dogs. They have adjusted well. Chandler has been getting tons of love and is doing great. Phoebe on the other hand has been so excited about her new home that she has required some new "crate training" as SHE (not Chandler) has had some peeing issues. Bonni has been wonderful about keeping me updated and letting me know how they are doing. Just this morning she posted some great pictures of my Chan-Bug lounging in the window.

I know they are happy.

I sure do miss them though. At least several times a day, I think I hear Phoebe scratching at the door, or I go to look for Chandler behind the couch because I cant find him. I miss having them curl up next to me while I am reading or doing my bible study. It also makes me sad to know that I will never have another cat. I have had at least one since I was five years old. But Dan is allergic and I always said that after Chandler we wouldnt get another one.

Still, I know it was the best decision for all of us. (most especially Phoebe and Chandler).

And despite the bad press that it sometimes gets, I am so grateful for Facebook, for Lori, and for Bonni and her family.

I'm also thankful that God is on Facebook too!







No comments:

Post a Comment