Starting with Hollister.
These days Hollister is REALLY into dinosaurs. He loves the movie "Dinosaur" and this extremely annoying show on Nick JR. called "Dino Dan" (Thanks Jennifer!). However, I will say that that he has really picked up on the dinosaur names quickly and loves to identify them in books and pictures. He also has been building dinosaurs out of playdough and they are quite impressive. He walks around the house growling most of the time. I got a little worried that maybe it was some sort of throat clearing issue that we might need to get checked out, but have since realized that it's just a constant rapport with his buddies. His toy dinosaurs have now replaced Buzz and Woody as sleeping buddies and he typically has one with him at all times. It's funny how children go through phases. This year alone we have transitioned from The Wiggles to Toy Story to Batman and now to Dinosaurs. It's hard to keep up!
You know how you had those phrases that you always said and your parents just HATED? The ones that came out a bit sarcastic and a little disrespectful? Well, Hollister's phrase is "Awwwwwww COME ON MOMMY!" Typically this is said when I say something that he is not happy about doing. It's hard not to laugh, but with that little tone of disrespect in there, I try not to. (secretly, it makes me giggle). His other phrase is Awwww MAN! (Thanks Dora!)
Another funny phrase that he picked up from the Dinosaur movie is "YOU know what I'm talkin about!"
He loves to say this when he's trying to explain something and I say, "I dont know what you are talking about!" He laughs and replies "YOU know what I'm talking about Mommy...The Terra-Tops!" (triceratops) Or whatever subject he is trying to explain at the time.
What else??
He's still loving school although I get a note home about every other week. I've started saving them as they are quite funny sometimes. One was about him swallowing an acorn on the playground! (as reported by another 3 year old child!)
Since it is a Christian preschool, they've been learning about Baby Jesus. This has been quite the topic around our house. We've been singing Happy Birthday to Baby Jesus all week, and frankly, I think we need a new song. I'm really not complaining though. Hollister has really gotten into praying and thanking Jesus during mealtimes and at night and I love hearing the new things he asks for or is thankful for each night.
My favorite is when Dan is out of town. He never fails to say, "And thank you for Daddy to come home!"
While we dont really do the Santa thing with him, this is the first Christmas that he has gotten into gifts (Tresents) and Mr. Christmas (Santa). He loves singing Jingle Bells (When he's not singing Happy Birthday to Jesus) and was excited to see Santa at the camp Christmas party last weekend. We were looking at pictures of him and Santa afterwards and he informed me that he needed to talk to Santa again. I told him he could talk to him in the picture, so he waved at the pictures and said, "Hey Santa!"Then he paused and waited....and waited....and then said, "He's not raising his hand!" (Waving back). No fooling this literal one.
They do a lot of little poem/songs at school and gymnastics and he is constantly reciting "Going on a Bear Hunt." We do this one together and it will probably remain one of my favorite memories for a long time. And speaking of gymnastics, I just love his teachers. I know that I have a very busy preschool boy. I know these very busy preschool boys are not always the "favorites" in classes like that. And I know that he doesnt do so well with adults until he is comfortable with them. However, these teachers (especially one beloved Ms. Kathy) always take the time to tell me something good that Hollister has done in class, even if he had a rough day. As a parent, I SO appreciate this. So thanks to Charlotte Jr. Gym....And if you have a preschooler and need a great activity for them to be involved in...this is it! They even host open gyms quite often, where you can drop off and do a few hours of errands. I love them. So does Hollister.
Things Hollister does NOT like to do? Dress himself! Hates it! We are working hard on independent skills, but putting on clothes is not on his radar quite yet. We're working on it though. He also has boycotted some of his favorite foods. (Blueberries and eggs in the past few weeks). I know that taste buds change, but his list of foods is small as it is. The one thing I can say is that he eats healthy. So I guess if he wants to have hummus, applesauce, black bean burgers, string cheese, yogurt, berries, guacomole, tortillas and pretzels forever-I cant really complain can I?
He's becoming such a big boy. We are having real conversations these days and it just amazes me.
My 2 favorite stories (as posted on facebook) happened last week.
One was his reply when I told him he could not have cookies for breakfast. He stated, "But Mom, God said Yes!" (Needless to say, I caved on that one. Who can argue with God?"
The other was during a tantrum he was throwing in his room. I had receded to my room to get my head on straight. After a while, I heard (over the monitor), "Hey Mommy! Are you listening? I'm still crying in here!" (actually he wasn't!) So funny.
Anyway, as you can tell-it's never boring around here. We are either pretending to be dinosaurs or singing Happy Birthday to Jesus. Not a bad life if I do say so myself.
Speaking of which. I just went to check on him because he SHOULD have been asleep 30 minutes ago. He was having a dinosaur party in his bed- of course. He proceeded to tell me that the tiger (on his comforter) is now a "Tiger-Drachiosaurus" How's that for an imagination....

Lol, I love to hear "Hollister Updates!", especially since we may have a little one his age running around here soon! God willing, I'm sure we're in for some great times!!
ReplyDeleteLove you!