Where my moments truly began

Where my moments truly began
I love this picture. Yes...that is my husband. The day we checked out our wedding site for the first time. (also the first week we discussed marriage). This is where the moments in my life now truly began!

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Montreal

I love to travel.

And more than actually traveling, I love to prepare to travel.

I heard this quote on Dawson's Creek (yes, I loved that show) a long time ago.

"Anticipation is the purest form of pleasure. And the most reliable. And that while the things that actually happened to you would invariably disappoint you, the things that never happened to you would never dim, never fade. They'd always be engraved on your heart with sort of a sweet sadness to them."


I'll be honest-At the time, I loved that quote because of it's relevance to my love life at that moment. 


But that quote is true on so many levels. 


However, The first part of it is pretty much my mantra when it comes to traveling. I love anticipating an upcoming trip. 


I love to pack. Love making lists of things to bring and challenging myself to fit everything into my allotted amount of bags. I dont know why. I just do. 


I love arriving at the airport and navigating the security line like a pro. I love watching all the people-trying to guess where they are going and where they have just come from. I love the occasional free upgrade to first class.  I love having all my "neccesities" available and accessible for the flight. (my snacks, my book, a bottle of water, a downloaded movie). 


When I travel with Hollister, it's even more scientific. I truly have it down to an art. 




Last week, I went to Montreal. It was for an annual conference that I am sent to for camp. I cant really even call it a conference, because it is one of my most favorite things in the world to do. 


It's kind of like MY CAMP (Adult camp). 


During the summer, I dont really get to ENJOY the camp I direct. It is one of the most rewarding things that I have ever done, but it's pretty stressful. Making sure that 225 adults and children (most who have cancer) have a wonderful fun filled week doesnt lend it's self to much relaxation. 


But the COCA Conference (Children's Oncology Camping Association) is MY camp. It's filled with it's own traditions, reunions and fun. IN the midst of it, I get to netword with other directors and come up with lots of new ideas to bring home. It's always in a different state and sometimes, like this year-A different country. 


Our camp sent 4 of us to Montreal this year. However, I opted to go up a day early which had me traveling up there alone. I forget how much I love traveling alone. I did it for so many years, but over the past few years, it just hasnt happened as much (for obvious) reasons. 


I relished that first day-just relaxed and read and enjoyed the anticipation of a good trip. My first hour in Montreal began quide oddly. I wound up having a rather emotional conversation with the taxi driver who was from Lebanon. Somehow I got out of the car shaking my head and wondering how I had just discussed everything from his younger brother who died of cancer, to my mom and then progressing onto infertility and the pursuit of happiness. Weird. 


I spent my first evening there hanging out with a group of friends from Birmingham. They welcomed me into their midst until my Charlotte buddies arrived. 


And the Trip was great. Seeing old friends, brainstorming new ideas with my camp buddies, touring Montreal with both a private tour guide that we hired as well as an exciting scavenger hunt at night throughout the city.


It was a much needed break, but also a great working environement that renews my energy and excitement about camp. Montreal was very cold. This True Texan was not impressed with the chilly temperatures. However, there were definitely parts of Montreal that were beautiful. 








Pictures from our private tour of Montreal








(Tommy Hilfiger's house)





Pictures from our scavenger hunt through the streets of Montreal. Alot of it took place underground. Very Cool!







Two of my favorite new foods. French Fries with Gravy and Sugar Pie. 





Our scavenger hunt guide-Casandra and the brick that is dedicated to she and her younger brother at the hockey arena.






Our surprise destination-Chez Mado-I'll just leave it at that! 




A little more touring the next day included a trip to the Notre Dame Basilica and a little more walking.


















Thanks to my friend Sharon who chronicled the entire 4 days for us. The funny thing is that I have very few pictures from the actual conference. But here is one of the 4 of us. 





See how much fun we have?


And PS. I dont ever anticipate traveling on the way home. My bags are haphazard and I usually can't wait to get back to my own bed!!
















No comments:

Post a Comment