Anyway, over the past few weeks, Hollister has just said some of the funniest things. I'm not naive enough to not notice that my son is a "little" bossy, a tad bit emotional and sometimes downright rude. However, he also is incredibly funny (in my "biased" mother opinion). Maybe it's because he is so literal.
These days he is ALWAYS in some sort of costume. If he can't find the one he wants, he just creates one. Here is a sample of one of his characters. (And one should never assume that this is just Spiderman. Last week a similar costume was actually "Darth Vader.)
I've tried to write down a few things he has said over the past few month or so and just thought I would document them here for posterity's sake. :) I'm sure he will appreciate it one day.
So here goes.
#1
Since my mom is no longer with us, we often tell him that "Sunny" is in his heart. At church they also tell him that God/Jesus is in his heart. So in HIS mind they are all one. God, Jesus and Sunny. (Not to be confused with (Father/Son and Holy Spirit of course). Anyway, he often says that he talks to God, Jesus and Sunny in his heart. So cute.
One day after I told him that they were in my heart too, he asked if God jumped around from person to person's heart because He can't be in EVERYONE's heart at once.
And then he asked me if Sunny crawled through his belly button to get inside his heart.
Literal, I tell ya.
#2
At his dedication at church last week, he was sitting with Dan's friend, "Mr. Karthik" who commented that he and Hollister looked just alike. (In white button up shirts and jeans). To which Hollister replied, "Nooooooooo-your skin is brown and mine is white. Actually, Mr. Karthik, your skin looks like chocolate."
I used this opportunity to talk to him later about how God made everyone different, but we are all still the same inside, etc....
Later that week he told me:
Hollister: Mom, I dont think I like Yoda anymore.
Me: Oh, Why not? Last week you liked Yoda.
Holl: I don't like him because his face is green.
Me: (inside thinking I had another awesome opportunity to talk to him about differences). Remember we talked about how God made everyone different. We don't NOT like someone because of how they look. Remember, God made Yoda that way.
Holl: Moooooommmm (rolling eyes). God didn't make Yoda-It's JUST a movie.
True Son...This is true.
Literal!
#3
Holl: (overhears me coughing) Mom, are you all right?
Me: Yeah-I'm okay. Just a little sick.
Holl: Yeah-I'm a little sick too. It must be all that beer I drank.
What????
Let's hope that one's not literal.
#4
Hollister has been really into what "being married" means. He loves to look at our wedding pictures and recently started telling me that he wanted to marry me. I explained to him that we don't marry our sisters or our moms, but maybe one of our friends who is a girl.
He told me that he wanted to marry "May."
I asked, "Mei from school, or May from Kung-fu?"
He replied, "NOT Mei from school mom...You can't hug the kids at school. They might give you germs."
*So I'm wondering if this is what they have really told them at school. Because they DO have a no hugging rule.
But speaking of May from Kung Fu (who Hollister wants to marry).
She's a tiny little thing, whom he is infatuated with. She is also super shy. He sits as close to her as possible at Kung Fu, and she told her dad that Hollister talks to her all the time, but it's against the rules to talk in class and Mr. George might get mad at her. I've tried to talk to Hollister about this, as he gets his feelings hurt quite easily and was worried after each class that May did not like him.
So the other day he comes flying out of the room, ecstatic.
Holl: MOM, MOM....Guess WHAT? May talked to me!
Me: That's great buddy, what did she say?
Holl: She said.....(Long dramatic pause)..... BYE HOLLISTER!
Whatever works!
#5
The other day, I caught Hollister trying to feed Grace a cereal bar.
Me: Hollister, you know you can not give Grace a cereal bar. She does not have teeth.
Holl: Mommy, YOU worry about Amy. You don't worry about Grace.
As I was sitting there (trying not to laugh), he replied.
"That's what Ms. Debbie (his teacher) says. She says, "Hollister, YOU worry about Hollister. You don't worry about GAVIN!"
Ah ha!!! Gavin is the little boy that apparently Hollister tries to blame everything on. And while I am glad that he has figured out this concept of not tattling and blaming others, it's become quite annoying at home because now anytime you try to correct him, he replies, "You don't worry about Hollister, you worry about Amy!"
So we are working on that.
#6
The memory on this kid is amazing. My friend Michelle recently reminded me that he might have come by this naturally....(Hmmmmmmmmm).
Last week he said, (out of nowhere) in a very sad voice:
"Mom, do you remember that time you forgot to put my Show and Tell in the bag. It was my Parasaurolophus for letter P week. (A dinosaur, in case you were wondering). That made me SO Sad."
(Never mind that I was 2 weeks post partum and still on a lot of Vicodin AND That was the ONLY time all year I"ve forgotten Show and Tell. Geez!)
Oh and now that he notices that other friends have pets, he says very pitifully at random times,
"Oh I just miss my dog Phoebe. But you gave her to another home" (Sad face, looking down, lips trembling...
REALLY!!! You were not even 3 when she went to her new owner and you were always crying because her nails scratched you.
#7
Dan was discussing these bags that we made with our small group to give out to the homeless. He was trying to explain what it means to be homeless, so he told Hollister that they were people who didn't have a home. They live in the streets.
Hollister: Dad, They don't live in the STREET. They'd get run over!
#8
We were discussing how we have so many "Ms. Jenny's" in our lives. (Neighbor, sitter, Ms. Jenny who makes his favorite dessert, etc...)
Holl: We also know 2 "Ms. Sharons"
Me: That's right. Who are they?
Holl: Ms. Sharon who teaches at my school and Ms. Sharon who loves me!
That's right buddy. Ms. Sharon DOES love you.
Ms. Sharon is our dear friend, one of Grace's godmothers, who has watched Hollister since he was a baby. Good thing he knows she loves him. He used to slam the door in her face because he knew if she was at our house, then Dan and I were leaving. Their relationship has grown for sure. :)
#9 Me to Hollister during a particularly long meltdown (over who knows what...): Hollister, I can not talk to you until you stop crying.
Holl: I'm trying and trying but my eyes just can't stop.
Did I mention he is also dramatic?
#10 (my favorite).
Hollister recently brought me a picture of my dad holding me when I was a baby. This picture was taken in the "hippie era" and my dad's hair was blond and hung to his waist.
Holl: Mom, WHO is this?
Me: Well, that's Pa, holding ME when I was a baby?
Holl: Pa used to be a GIRL???
Hahahahaha!!
So last week when my dad was here, this conversation occurred.
Holl: Hey Pa, Did you know that you used to be my Mommy's Dad, back when your hair was Yellow?
Dad: Oh, back when I was a girl?
Holl: Yep....back then!
Hilarious...
I know there are more. But those are the latest. Thanks for indulging a mom's need to put those down on "paper."
Have a great week.
Amy

No comments:
Post a Comment