Where my moments truly began

Where my moments truly began
I love this picture. Yes...that is my husband. The day we checked out our wedding site for the first time. (also the first week we discussed marriage). This is where the moments in my life now truly began!

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Happy Birthday Hollister

So Hollister turns 3 tomorrow.  Can you believe it? I certainly cannot.  


I'm sure that every parent says this, but where OH WHERE did the time go.

It's hard to put into words just how much I love this child.

He was unplanned and certainly unexpected, but I have never been given a greater gift.

Here's just a little sample of my last 3 years! Year by year...












Sometimes I am so afraid that I will forget what his little voice sounds like right now.

Speaking of which. Our boy is a bit bossy. I'm not sure WHERE he gets that? I'm hoping it's a  3 year old thing. We've been working on "tone" and he is quick (with a swift glance) to switch straight into an almost annoying "Sweet voice" when he thinks he is in trouble, however the WORDS are still quite bossy. "Mommy-I do NOT go POTTY RIGHT NOW, but I"m SORRY!" If you ask him if he is bossy, he will reply, "No, I not Bossy, I am HOLLISTER DANE WARREN. " If you ask him how old he is, he says, "You are 2, and I am 45!" (not sure why he is stuck on 45, but he's convinced that is exactly how old he is.

But he's so funny. And sometimes Dan and I have to leave the room so that he doesnt see us laugh. Like when he is lecturing us about something, and ends it with "YOU UNNNERSTAND DADDY?" or when he puts his hands on both sides of our face and says, "You look at me!" I know that it is a reflection of OUR interactions with HIM, so we've been working on our tone too.

We are moving out of the Wiggle phase, thought truthfully-I'd rather go back. The Buzz Lightyear and Toy Story phase is going to kill me. Every where you look, Toy Story has exploded!! Target is a prime example. I think they have over 100 items that they have somehow worked Toy Story into. For instance, their hot dog buns have Buzz Lightyear on them. And Hollister doesnt care if he has 20 Buzz Lightyear toys at home, he NEEDS THAT ONE! (Even if it is just Buzz's face a hotdog bun bag).



Dont worry-I dont give in. (Typically). But it has made shopping a journey, to say the least! And of course, sharing a Toy Story Toy is WAY too much to ask. IF we go to someone's house and they have anything Toy Story, Hollister is certain that it truly belongs to him and typically some sort of tantrum breaks out.
We are headed to see the Premier of Toy Story tomorrow. I love that the promotional poster has his birthday, JUNE 18th on it and the #3. (Since he is turning 3 on June 18th).

But anyway...


Here are some fun facts about him.

1. Another favorite phrase right now is, "You okay Mommy/Daddy? I love you too!" All connected. Not sure why. At first we were so excited about the spontaneous "I love you's" and then we realized it is all part of a little phrase, typically stated when he thinks we are mad at him. Still pretty cute.

2. We went to Disney last month and had a blast. Just a few days at The Magic Kingdom, but we did it all! Hollister was just barely under 40 inches tall which opens up a whole new set of rides, so I was sneaky and bought him a pair of gel inserts that raised him that last precious 1/4" so we were all able to ride some "Grown up" rides. Hollister loves rollercoasters and haunted houses. He calls any ghost or scary character a "SuperFreak" (because of that dancing skeleton that we own who sings Superfreak).

3. He also is really into Tigger and Pooh and was excited to meet them AND Buzz Lightyear at Disney.

4. I guess you can imagine what kind of birthday party we are having this year. Hopefully I dont live to regret THAT decision.

5. Hollister did gymnastics at Charlotte Junior Gym this spring. IT was a big boy class. They even discourage parents from staying through during the class. They really work on independence. It ws the best thing I did for him all spring. He loves to climb. One of my most horrific moments was watching him climb the lattice on my friend Karen's deck. As our friend Becky says, "Hollister sees things to climb that most kids would not ever even think of." I'm not sure if that's a trait to be proud of or  not. 



6. He found the cookie jar this week. He also figured out how to push a box over to the counter and climb up on the counter to steal the cookies. Yesterday, I had to chase him around the house for 5 minutes as he sprinted all over the place with about 8 cookies in his hand. 


7. I love how he mispronounces words. For example:


"To infinity, AND TEE-YOND (Beyond)" That's a Buzz Lightyear quote. 


"Elevee" (As in... "Eight, Nine, Ten, Elevee...")


"Mix-You" (For music. He switches the I and the U). And speaking of Mix-You...he loves music. Right now he spends a lot of his time walking around the house singing "Lollipop" (yes the old version) and "You've Got a Friend in Me" (from Toy Story).  He also loves to sing the song "Life High" that we sing at church. 


Those are just some of my favorites phrases. 


8. He is 40 inches tall and 35 pounds. Our 3 year appt. is not until next week, but I'm certain that's pretty tall for his age.  He spends most of his time walking on his toes which is a trait I find endearing for some reason. 


9. He's really into his friends these days and asks frequently to play with Mikey, Mac (Maddox), John, Blake and Buck.  He's also really into his Daddy. He would definitely rather play with him than me. It's hard to be jealous when you see the two of them together. 


10. He loves the pool. After 3 summers of ISR (Survival Swimming) lessons, he has developed a love for the water. He's a pretty good swimmer these days, if I do say so myself. 


There are so many other things I could say about this sweet boy. He is affectionate and happy. He is just mischevious enough to push my buttons, but he makes me laugh. Again and again...


What more could you ask for?


Happy Birthday to my Monkey. 


Please take a few minutes to view the slide show below. I used the song "Life High" to show pictures of Hollister by himself throughout the last year and with Dan and I. I love that he sings this song and prefers it to almost any other song when we are in the car. Just seemed fitting to thank Jesus for such an incredible child. 


I chose "You've Got a Friend In Me" for pictures of Hollister with all his family and friends because it is his other favorite song right now, and because Hollister loves his "Friends"


Enjoy!!












1 comment:

  1. okay one more comment. I have to say that you are a better person then me! I HATE when blake wants his dad to do something over me. One night a couple weeks ago he wanted his dad to read him a book, i thought i was gonna cry.
    Becky

    ReplyDelete